Saturday, July 12, 2008

41. Alone: Day 1 - Morale is sinking

July something, 1:00 am.

My first day while you are gone away with the kids.

My friends left, and now I am alone in the house. Boardgames are strewn haphazardly about the house as if no one had given thought to what the wife would say.

This morning, I made myself a cucumber sandwich for lunch, and cooked an egg in a basket for breakfast. It was raining, and my butt was very soaked when I biked in to work, but I had the foresight to bring an extra pair of clothes.

Supper went well. I heated up two bowls of cabbage soup and played the DS at the same time. Rations are still high.

The magic sink is broken, though. Normally, I would put the dishes in the sink, and when I came home, the magic sink cleaned them. Didn't work today.

I found your note about feeding the fish and the bird. It gave very specific instructions for the fish: once per day. That I could handle. The second set of instructions were for the bird, and it said: feed twice. That caused a whole host of confusion. Feed twice per day? Feed twice throughout the week? Make sure it eats twice? I was stuck with the ambiguity. I remembered our last bird went for days without eating. It of course is dead now, but it did last a long time sans food. I hope this latest bird is a bit more hardy.

People came to the house for boardgames. We talked about you. And sex. Dan talked about sex non stop. But not in relation to you. Fortunately.

The house is quite messy now. I had trouble finding a bowl for my soup. The magic cupboard had bowls, but not today.

Now I'm alone. I was chatting on Facebook with Erinn, and then she went offline. I don't even know why, I wasn't talking about geek things... oh wait. I was talking about boardgames.

Tomorrow I have nothing booked. I offered myself to many people for babysitting. Haven't heard back from anyone. It's like high school all over again, except this time I'm not even trying to get a date.

I hope you have fun up there in the outside. I have your DS. It reminds me of you. It also reminds me of Rune Factory. I'm going to play that now and hold back the impending loneliness of an empty bed.

I miss you. I'm hungry too. But I need to make sure my stock of food lasts.

No comments: